Upscale Sous Chef
Washington, DC 20003 US
We are searching for a focused and ambitious Sous Chef that is a passionate leader and role model, engaged and engaging, self-motivated, and able to excel under pressure. This is a talented chef who strives to build upon their talents and experience with a high level of integrity, communicating, and demonstrating efficiency within our culture and disciplined kitchen.
Sous Chef Responsibilities:
- Assist in the daily management of the entire main kitchen culinary staff, ensuring quality control measures are being adhered to
- Reports to the Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef
- Strong kitchen and leadership skills with a proven ability to coach and develop staff
- Supervising team to ensure compliance with occupational, health, and safety standards
- React quickly and effectively to unplanned operational needs, while remaining calm under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize workload in a deadline-driven, demanding environment
Sous Chef Qualifications
- Proven experience working as a sous chef in a fast-paced kitchen environment, preferably with a pedigree from Michelin Star-level execution
- Expert skill set in international cuisine and technique
- Confident culinary techniques and skills with the drive for excellence under pressure
- Good sense of planning and preparation for the day ahead
- Diligent and meticulous in making and receiving orders
- Ability to problem solve and react quickly to any issues which arise during a shift
Sous Chef Benefits
- Competitive Salary
- Amazing place to work with unparalleled professionals
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision coverage is heavily subsidized by the employer
- Education allowance
- Annual Team Appreciation Events
- 401K with a substantial company match
- 2 weeks of PTO (after 90 days)
Recruiter Managing this Job
Sean Spalding joined Goodwin Recruiting in March 2021.
He has been working since his childhood, with his first regular paycheck stemming from a dishwasher job at the age of 14. He got a better-paying dishwasher job a year later and learned to navigate a college dining hall kitchen on the campus of Notre Dame. Moving into various categories of food prep, menu input, and some line cooking, the seeds of the future were set. Those seeds took years to germinate, as Sean ventured into different professional jobs.
After nearly 10 years as an area operations manager with Coca-Cola, Sean accepted a severance package and turned back to the kitchen. He attended Johnson & Wales University in Denver, CO, graduated at the top of his class, worked for esteemed Best New Food & Wine Chef, Bryan Moscatello, at Adega. With much tenacity (and begging), Sean received acceptance to work as a fledgling cook with the Thomas Keller Restaurant Group in Yountville, CA. Sean and his wife Jenny sold their Denver home for Sean to follow his culinary dream.
Coming in as a commis at Bouchon shucking oysters, Sean worked his way up the ranks through garde manger, pastry, line cook, eventually promoted to chef de cuisine of the Bouchon Bakery's savory offerings while managing BOH staff and acted as a production chef for the consuming items for Bouchon Bistro and The French Laundry.
In a twist of fate, a former pastry intern reached out to Sean about an opportunity with the Michelin Guide, creating a guide for San Francisco. Sean landed that dream job and traveled the world and the US for the past 14 years before Covid forced a change and Sean excitedly joined Goodwin Recruiting.